Friday, July 8, 2016

Things That I Don't Geek Out On

Holy cow. It's been forever since I've updated this blog. I have no excuse. I'm lazy.

This post's topic was inspired by a similar post that I read today on Bio Break that tickled me and I couldn't resist writing my own post on the subject.

This about being a geek/nerd. This is an aspect of my personality that I fully embrace and acknowledge. Besides, I'm such a nerd, that denying it would be laughable. Despite being comfortable in my nerdiness, there are quintessential aspects of being a nerd/geek that just don't apply to me and/or I don't indulge in. It's not because they embarrass me or because I think I'm above them, but more that they've never interested me. Some of my list, I have in common with Syp, so maybe others will find things to relate to too. Let's begin.



  1. Playing Dungeons and Dragons. I remember my brother playing D&D when we were both younger (maybe he still does, I don't know but wouldn't be surprised) and it seeming to be really boring to me. He said that I lacked an imagination, which is why I didn't like it. Maybe so. Still, it seems really silly to me (no offense) and aside from that, having to verbally participate in a game like D&D totally makes me nervous just thinking about it. I'm too shy.
  2. Wearing geeky clothes. I've never had much of a personal style to being with but the older I get, the more I'm trying to wear more "adult" clothing. This means that I've cut my t-shirt collection down to just two:  a pink t-shirt that I got in the men's section of Ralph Lauren (go figure) and a black concert tee that I got at an Imagine Dragons concert. However, I long for some of the geeky t-shirts I've seen advertised online (mostly Facebook). So many of them apply to me and I can relate to them. In the same vein, I've never colored my hair pink or green or blue or whatever. I love how it looks on others, but I feel like I'm too old to do that for myself.
  3. Watching other gamers play games. I've never even been to the Twitch website and don't watch YouTube vids either except the ones that show walk thrus. This confounds me. I have no idea what the appeal is in watching someone else play games online. I'd much rather play them myself.
  4. Doctor Who. I've tried!!! I want to love this show because so many others do but I can't get into it at all. It's so fake and the acting is so forced. Please! Someone tell me the secret to Doctor Who so that I can love it too.
  5. Watching and/or reading comics. The only movie I've ever liked based on a comic book character (that I know of) is the original Batman movie with Michael Keaton. I've tried watching Jessica Jones, Dare Devil and even more importantly, Arrow!! because of this promo poster (YUM!):
    But none of them held my attention. I don't even bother with movies anymore because I never like them. I also don't read comics in the traditional sense. I read graphic novels, which many say is the same, but I don't read anything with the traditional comic book characters. I like Saga, Grimm Fairy Tales, and Persepolis. My geek gene is mutated or something. 
  6. I've never built my own computer. This is more of a fear thing than anything else. I buy computers. I'm afraid that if I built my own, it'd never work and then I'd be out all the money it took buy all the components and I'd have nobody to blame but myself. However, I'm not afraid to yank stuff out of my computer or go into the BIOS. Stuff like that. As a matter of fact, and why this is on my mind, my computer wouldn't start up yesterday. I Googled some stuff, found some things to try and busted open my computer to try them. As I was doing so, I was naming off all the components in my tower and my daughter was impressed that I knew what I was looking at, lol. I pulled my hard drive, swapped it out in my husband's comp, determined that my hard drive is fried, AND...ordered a new computer last night. It'll be here tomorrow.
  7. Playing Chess. My husband is a big chess player. He's actually headed to a competition this weekend in Alabama. I tease him about how much he likes and plays chess. I know the basics of chess, meaning that I know the names of the pieces and how they move, but I can't grasp how to move the pieces or the why of it. Frankly, after watching/listening to my husband play for hours on end, figuring out the game appeals to me not at all. It appears to be boooorrring. I think this might be because I'm just not smart enough to play. In all seriousness and I'm not trying to be self-deprecating at all. 
So, that's my list of the geeky/nerdy things that I don't do. At least, these are the things I can think of. There are plenty of geeky/nerdy things that I do do and that list would probably be longer. Maybe that'll be my next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment

You've come this far...